Academic Philosophy Events in the Netherlands
All events in academic philosophy
- This event has passed.
Workshop: the Philsophy of Information
26 June 2018 - 27 June 2018
The theme of the workshop is information visualisation.
Our aim is to focus on informational artefacts that encode or convey information in order to try and explain why visualisations can play a certain epistemic role and why certain visualisation are more effective than others. A special attention will be given to the study of how scientists rely on visualisations and how visual artefacts are designed in the sciences. On this basis, we wish to explore convergences between the philosophy of information and the philosophy of science as well as between the formal sciences (logic, computing) and the philosophy of information. We therefore encourage scholars of various disciplinary backgrounds to explore the lines of inquiry we propose.
Topics of interest include:
- Extensions and critical evaluations of visualisations as models and as epistemic representations in the context of data-intensive science.
- The epistemology of data and data science in the context of visualisation.
- The logic and epistemology of design in the context of information visualisation.
- Case-studies of specific visualisation-practices or types of visualisations; including drawings, photographs and diagrams.
- Meta-theoretical reflections on the status of theoretical foundations for information visualisation.
- The role of formal methods for the study of visualisation.
About the OZSW event calendar
The OZSW event calendar lists academic philosophy events organized by/at Dutch universities, and is offered by the OZSW as a service to the research community. Please check the event in question – through their website or organizer – to find out if you could participate and whether registration is required. Obviously we carry no responsibility for non-OZSW events.