Academic Philosophy Events in the Netherlands
- This event has passed.
Workshop: Once upon a time… Semantic approaches to fiction, literature, and narrative
17 September - 18 September
In this workshop we want to bring together linguists and philosophers interested in applying formal semantic tools to linguistic phenomena characteristic of fiction/narrative. Examples of questions we would like to address include:
– Are there languages with dedicated markers of fiction or story-telling (e.g. “fiction-evidentials”)?
– What exactly are so-called historical/narrative uses of present tense? Are there other tense/aspect/mood configurations characteristic of narrative?
– What is the role of imagination in the semantics of fiction?
– Conversely, what is the role of the usual foundational semantic concepts like truth, reference, truth-conditions, and common ground?
– Can/should we distinguish fiction and non-fiction at a discourse level, e.g. in terms of discourse structure, coherence relations etc.?
– How to model free indirect discourse and other forms of perspective shifting, and to what extent are these constructions characteristic of narrative fiction?
– What is the role of (direct) speech/thought representation in literature?
– How can we model different types of narration/narrators (omniscient third person, first/second person narration, unreliable narrators) semantically?
– Can we push our semantics beyond literary/textual narrative to e.g. oral storytelling, comics, picture books, movies, or narrative music/dance?
– Márta Abrusán (Paris)
– Stefan Hinterwimmer (Köln)
– Hans Kamp (Austin/Stuttgart)
– Alessandro Zucchi (Milan)
We invite submissions of anonymous two-page abstracts (including references etc.) for 25 minute talks (plus 10 minutes discussion), on or before May 25, via Easychair. With enough high quality submissions we’ll also organize a poster session with lightning talks.
Workshop: Mo, Sept 17, 2018 — Tue, Sept 18, 2018
Deadline for abstract submission: May 25, 2018
Notification: June 10, 2018
About the OZSW event calendar
The OZSW event calendar lists academic philosophy events organized by/at Dutch universities, and is offered by the OZSW as a service to the research community. Please check the event in question – through their website or organizer – to find out if you could participate and whether registration is required. Obviously we carry no responsibility for non-OZSW events.