Academic Philosophy Events in the Netherlands
All events in academic philosophy
- This event has passed.
Summer School Epistemology & Cognition
23 August 2014 - 28 August 2014|
The OZSW is supporting this event. Members of the OZSW receive a discount of 50 euro on their participant fee, which will then be 50 euro instead of 100 euro.
Summerschools Epistemology & Cognition
From 25 to 29 August 2014, the Faculty of Philosophy at the University of Groningen will host two co-located summer schools with a common theme: Epistemology and Cognition. One of the summer schools will focus on contemporary philosophy and is co-organized with the Department of Philosophy of the University of Bristol. The other summer school will have a historical focus and is co-organized with the Department of Philosophy of the Radboud University Nijmegen.
The summer schools are intended for graduate students (master’s and PhD), post-docs and early-career researchers in philosophy. Participants can follow exclusively one of the two tracks, or mix-and-match tutorials from both tracks according to their interests.
Student sessions and scholarships: we’ll be offering 4 scholarships of EUR 400 (including registration fee) for the best student papers. See http://www.rug.nl/education/summer-winter-schools/summer-schools-2014/epistemology-and-cognition/course-information
Information on how to apply: http://www.rug.nl/education/summer-winter-schools/summer-schools-2014/epistemology-and-cognition/apply-now
Keynote speakers (common to both events)
- Jeanne Peijnenburg (University of Groningen): Fading Foundations
- Rineke Verbrugge (University of Groningen): TBA
- Andrew Pyle (University of Bristol): Locke and the Ethics of Belief
Groningen-Bristol Summer School on Epistemology and Cognition – contemporary perspectives
- Finn Spicer (University of Bristol): TBA
- Richard Pettigrew (University of Bristol): “Aiming at the truth: from the goal of accuracy to rationality constraints”
- Catarina Dutilh Novaes (University of Groningen): “Dialogical conceptions of reasoning”
- Jan-Willem Romeijn (University of Groningen): “Group rationality”
- Fred Keijzer (University of Groningen): “Cognition, embodied cognition, biocognition”
Groningen-Nijmegen Summer School on Epistemology and Cognition – historical perspectives
- Carla Rita Palmerino (Radboud University Nijmegen): “Impossible, possible and real: the role of thought experiments in early modern natural philosophy”
- Paul Bakker (Radboud University Nijmegen): “The Soul’s Cognitive Powers in Late-Medieval and Renaissance Psychology”
- Hein van den Berg (Free University of Amsterdam and University of Groningen): “Instinct and animal cognition in Reimarus and Herder“
- Andrea Sangiacomo (University of Groningen): “Mind and Body: between union and identity”
- Sander de Boer and Han Thomas Adriaenssen (University of Groningen): “Medieval echoes in early-modern theories of cognition: empty slogans or hidden roots?”
About the OZSW event calendar
The OZSW event calendar lists academic philosophy events organized by/at Dutch universities, and is offered by the OZSW as a service to the research community. Please check the event in question – through their website or organizer – to find out if you could participate and whether registration is required. Obviously we carry no responsibility for non-OZSW events.