Invitation / Call for application Winter School 2013
Dates: 18-22 March 2013
Location: Woodbrooke Hotel, Barchem, The Netherlands
Application deadline: February 10, 2013
The Dutch Research School of Philosophy (OZSW)) and the Ethics Institute (University of Utrecht) invite you to a five-day winter school on Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, from 18-22 March 2013. This intensive course will be held at the Woodbrookershuis in Barchem, the Netherlands.
The aim of this course, open for PhD students and Research Master students, is to give an overview of current debates in practical philosophy. The course focuses on the role of different normative theories in applied contexts, methodology and justification of normative positions.
The preliminary program can be downloaded here.
- Prof. Dr. Marcus Düwell, Utrecht University (NL)
- Prof. Dr. Robert Heeger, Utrecht University (NL)
- Dr. Frederike Kaldewaij, Utrecht University (NL)
- Prof. Dr. Pauline Kleingeld, Groningen University (NL)
- Dr. Gijs van Donselaar, University of Amsterdam (NL)
- Dr. Marcel Verweij, Utrecht university (NL)
- Prof. Dr. Klaus Steigleder, Bochum University (D)
- Prof. Dr. Alan Thomas, Tilburg University (NL)
- Rosemarie Bernabe, Utrecht University (NL)
As this is a compact and intensive course, active preparation by the students is required. Before the beginning of the Winter School, participants are expected to study the reader containing the background literature for the course (approximately 400 pages), and to write discussion papers for two sessions. During the course, all participants will give a presentation discussing the role of theories in their research. This presentation should provide an opportunity to discuss questions and problems you have with the professors and other participants of the Winter School.
Participants pay a contribution of about 450 euros for meals and accommodation, and are expected to make their own travel arrangements. PhD students of the Dutch School for Research in Philosophy pay a reduced fee of about 400 euro.
How to apply?
Please send an e-mail to email@example.com with:
- your contact details (email address, telephone number and postal address),
- a brief description of your academic background, in which you clearly indicate your previous education in (practical) philosophy and ethics (max. 300 words),
- a description of your PhD project (max. 500 words) and
- a brief motivation for taking part in the course.
(If your application is accepted, your contact information and the description of your research project will be included in the reader for the Winter School). When the number of applications exceeds the number of places available, we will give priority to PhD students of the Dutch Research School of Philosophy (OZSW). You will be notified of whether your application has been accepted before February 17, 2013.
Deadline for application: February 10, 2013
If you have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.