The Dutch Research School of Philosophy (OZSW) and 3TU.Ethics invite PhD students in philosophy to register for the course “Design for Values”, to take place April 7 -10, 2015.
Type of activity
Primary target group
The deadline for application is 14 March 2015 (see form below).
About the topic
This course discusses the main philosophical issues in relation to design for values. Topics that will be covered include the value-ladenness of technology, the approach of value sensitive design (VSD), the conceptualization and operationalization of values in design and value conflict in design. Students get to know some of the main positions in relation to philosophical issues in design for values, and the main arguments in the relevant debates. Although the focus is on the philosophical and ethical issues raised by engineering design, we will also touch upon some more fundamental philosophical issues and some methodological issues raised by design for values. This includes issues like:
- The nature of values and the relation between values and norms
- The possibility to embody values in technology
- Value incommensurability, value pluralism and value monism
As part of this course, PhD students will also practice the skill: reviewing.
Aim / objective
To become acquainted with the main philosophical issues in relation to design for values.
- Tuesday morning: (guest) lecture the value-ladenness of technology
- Tuesday afternoon: Exercise and debate about value-ladenness of technology
- Wednesday morning: Lecture Value Sensitive Design
- Wednesday afternoon: Assignment Peer Review (work on your own, presentation on Thursday)
- Thursday morning: Lecture value conflict and value incommensurability
- Thursday afternoon: Presentations peer review
- Friday morning: (guest) lecture design for human well-being
- Friday afternoon: Presentations design for values
The participants are expected to read all the assigned literature, to do assignments, to actively participate in the discussions, and to give two presentations. The have to bring a draft paper they have written to the course that can be reviewed by one of the other participants.
Certificate / credit points
Study load is the equivalent of 5 EC.
The course is free for:
- PhD students who are a member of the 3TU.Ethics graduate school;
- PhD students who are a member of the OZSW;
- MSc students enrolled in the PSTS master of the University of Twente;
- ReMa students who are a member of the OZSW
Participants who do not belong to one of these groups pay a course fee of 250 euro.
How to apply / register
Please fill out the application form below. The deadline for registration is March 14, 2015.
In case of too many applications, the coordinator of the course will make a selection. In case of too little applications, the course will be cancelled. In case of cancellation, the OZSW will inform participants at least one week in advance. The OZSW is not responsible for any (accommodation) costs that students may have made in preparation for the course.
This course is coordinated by Ibo van de Poel. For further information related to the contents of this course, please contact him at the following e-mail address: I.R.vandePoel[at]tudelft.nl. For practical inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.